Tuesday, February 10, 2009

one piece at a time...


wow...it's near mid february and the doom and gloom in portland is staggering. i drive cab. have for close to 15 years off and on(in 3 different cities) and i've never seen anything like this. the streets are empty, with bored cabdrivers just sitting- waiting. the economy is still spiraling like a crashing plane(everyday seems worse.). i know we are gonna crash into the hudson, but i need to put on one of those oxygen masks the flight attendant told us about while i was reading one of those strange airplane catalogs (who buys those chocolate waterfall things anyways?)
im just grasping for a handle to the life raft lately. it's all so surreal how fast things are falling apart, and thinking about it is terribly worrysome/depressing, so i've resigned myself to looking forward, and use all my spare time to create my future.for the most part i look at my life as art (see dada) and always had dreams half finished, but now in a panic i plan to manifest them.
my dream- to be completely mobile and this crisis has almost forced me to realization.
i've always lived my life with the bare minimum "stuff", minimal enough so that i can pick up and move at any moment. but when i move, i usually take an airplane and mail my crap to myself, or ask a friend to do it for me, so when i arrive and i'm settled in, they can send me my crap(i have the best of friends).
this time is different. this time i don't want to move. i love oregon. but i want to have a back-up plan. roof over my head if something drastic happens.
i was going to buy a bus and renovate it, and i have a lot of friends that either have lived in a bus or are living in one right now, but i live in the city and have no place to park one. they are also really conspicuous. i lived in an old van a few years ago and even that was hard to keep undercover. so...i decided to buy a diesel pick-up(for conversion to vegi oil, WVO) and to buy a vintage travel trailer. there are plenty of campgrounds, national forest and BLM in oregon to escape to. in fact- i even met a lady in my cab once who had lived out of her car up in gifford pinchot at a campsite and still worked a day job in portland. she said it was hard, but she survived, and i'm sure it made her a stronger person in the end.
i'm selling some of my "stuff" right now and should have the cash soon, so when i find that perfect trailer from the 60's/70's i can go get it and feel confident that if i have to go, i can go, and when i get "there" i won't be sleeping in a flophouse or on the street. i've done both and i'm done with that. in the coming months i will try and update on the progress of my realization and the info i find that lead me to my conclusion. hope to see you when you get there. ill be waiting by the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment